It is a form of security outfit to guide and protect the lives of the innocent in the South West region.
1. Amotekun is the Yoruba word for Leopard. The Amotekun logo highlights the image of an angry leopard in its full flight. This represents ‘Zero tolerance to crime’.
2. Operation Amotekun remains the first regional security outfit initiated by a geopolitical zone in Nigeria. Meanwhile, the local security initiative would complement the Police and other paramilitary organisations to fight crime.
3. The headquarters of Operation Amotekun will be located in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.
4. Each state has contributed 20 patrol vehicles, communication gadgets and other security gadgets to the central dispatch that is located at Gbongan in Osun State. Furthermore, each state will procure additional vehicle and gadgets for state-based operations.
5. Also, each state procured 100 units of motorcycles making a total of 600 motorcycles to fortify the operation Amotekun in the six states.
6. Operation Amotekun is made up of specifically hired local hunters, members of vigilante groups, men of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and the Oodua People’s Congress (OPC).
7. In terms of personnel, 1, 320 militiamen will be employed for this operation.
8. Among important things to note is that the Operation Amotekun officials will carry Dane guns just like the way hunters are allowed to do.
9. Operation Amotekun officials will man 52 blackspots across the South-West geopolitical region.